Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mind Games

For the majority of my life, when I look in a mirror, I haven’t loved the reflection.

I have a lot of random thoughts when I think of the title, “Mind Games.” One in particular is how, at times in my life, I have looked in the mirror or saw my own arm or leg and thought, “Hmm. I wish my arm actually looked like that.”

The mind game comes in because as I saw my own reflection, my own arm, for instance, I wasn’t distorting it or squeezing a chunk of it, hiding it in my armpit. I was looking at my very own arm…seeing what was in the mirror…wishing my arm looked just like that…but not really seeing that the very arm I was looking at in the mirror was my own.

Does that make sense? Well, no, it doesn’t make sense, but do you kinda sorta at least understand what I’m trying to convey?

What our mind receives is not always what our eyes are actually seeing…

I have poor eyesight. I am very near-sighted. It’s ironic, really. Especially when I think of a poor self-image journey because when you are “near-sighted” it means you can see things close to you quite clearly, but not far away. Yet, what I see clearly in the mirror isn’t really what God sees.

I also have poor vision. It’s distorted sometimes. It’s especially foggy when I try to SEE through my own perspective instead of God’s eye view.

I’m not sure if this is my “thorn in my side” but I am looking for the day that what I see in the mirror is what God sees.

Because this journey isn’t really about how I look or what I see but it’s about being who I was created to be. That’s the only me I want to be. To the fullest. I've just hit a small road block...

No comments:

Post a Comment