Thursday, April 28, 2011

God is Smarter than a 2nd Grader

I don’t know what’s best for me…God does.

I don't know what's best for me. I think I do, but I don't.

I think I’ve always thought this, but I most certainly haven’t always practiced it. Not when I take up the details. Not when I don’t seek Him regularly. Not when I ride on my self-sufficiency.

And, as my friend said at a retreat I recently attended, “It’s easy to trust God with the big things, but what about the details?”

I can totally track with the “big things” mentality. I’ve never questioned whether God can make the world go round, heal the sick, raise the dead, split seas wide open…but does He really give a rip about whether I am physically insecure or can’t stand the woman in the mirror?

And not just when it comes to poor self-image, but in everything, do I really, truly believe, no matter how difficult it may be, how much effort I may have to put forth, even if my heart is wrecked and it’s not all turning out as I had planned or expected…does God really know what is best for me?

That would mean I have to admit He sees a bigger picture and is way smarter than me. I know God is way smarter than me. Duh. So then why, oh why, do I try to pick it up again? And by “it” I mean: whatever it is I am battling, trying to control, thinking I have under control…why is it that I think I can handle it and manage it better than the God of the Universe can?

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8&9

God knows what is best for me, and it’s good, and it’s better than anything I could try to make up from my own strength.

And He knows what’s best for you, and it’s beautiful, it’s more than you could ever imagine, and it’s smarter than anything we could think up on our own.

It's a no-brainer: The Creator of the Universe knows what's best for me...now to just put that into practice every day by laying down my own selfishness...

1 comment:

  1. Control freak here. And I learned when my children became adults that I am not in control. Never have been, never will be. Such a hard lesson to learn. Yes, God has my best in mind. It's just so hard for me to lay it all down. I won't tell you again how much this sounds like my life. You already know.

    ReplyDelete