Friday, January 6, 2012

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

I have ALWAYS lied about my weight. 

By "ALWAYS" I guess I should think about that.  I've lied about it since High School when I was old enough to realize my friends weighed less than me.

I even lied on my very first driver's license by 5 lbs.  I guess even back then the number in my head and on the scale didn't match.  I don't remember what number I wrote down, but I know it wasn't the truth.

But 5 or 10 lbs has always been my "lie buffer."  I'm not justifying it.  A lie is a lie.  I've done it for so long regarding my weight that I guess it's become the norm to shave a few pounds off on paper work.

15 years ago my father-in-law took me to get my driver's license renewed in Minnesota.  I wish you all could have known Steve Graves.  He was the life of the party and made everyone he met feel like a zillion bucks.  I loved that guy!  Anyway, I had a good hair day and was feeling good because a student and I from the college where I worked had been getting up at the crack each morning and working out.  I did not lie on that driver's license.  My smile was genuine because I was looking at Steve trying to hold in a laugh while the girl took my picture.  Did I mention I was 145 and it was a good hair day?

Fast forward to 2002.  Jason and my pregnant belly and I had just moved from Minnesota to Colorado and I had to get a new driver's license.  I was 198 lbs pregnant with gelato/custard/chocolate chip cookie weight, thought it was a good idea to let my hair go curly that day, and had on a large and in charge barf/Pepto pink maternity shirt. 

I side-looked over each shoulder as I wrote: 150 in the weight category...5'10" in the height category...and Blue in the box for eye color. 

You see, 5'9" to 9 1/2" has always been Five Ten for me (because in my head it helped distribute the weight...and it sounds runway-ish)

150 was a hellofalot better than 198, so writing that was a no-brainer.

And, my eyes are blue.  And they are also green.  And it just depends on the day.  So, I guess that day they were blue.

My 40th birthday is Sunday.  The Department of Transportation is closed Sunday so I'm headed to get a new driver's license AND picture today.  The information will be as follows:

Height:  5'9"
Weight:  135
Eyes:  (I guess we'll have to see, but this morning they have a blue outer ring with a green center...which is too long to enter into the small box that wants a straight answer so maybe I'll go with green for the next 10 years?  Who knows?)

So there you have it.  So there I have it.  I worked my buns off over the last year to lose weight and gain health and a new perspective.  It wasn't so I'd be able to tell the truth on my driver's license though that is now an added bonus.  It was because I always knew the 5 to 10 lb lie buffer had truth in it.

It feels good to finally tell the truth ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment