Friday, January 27, 2012

I'm "Lo"

Today as I hopped on the scale for my weekly weigh-in (I was going to start weighing myself daily but weighing yourself every day the week of your period is dumb...) it said, "Lo."  Though, reading this when you know you are packing a little extra water weight really is kind of encouraging...even if it doesn't have anything to do with me :)

Of course "Lo" means the scale, one, can't spell, and two, needs a battery change but it's one of those lithium types that I don't just have lying around, so I need to plan a trip to the store.

But as I pondered the read out, "Lo," I thought, wouldn't that be nice if the scale read:
  • "Low"
  • "High"
  • "Just Right"
Or even better, what if scales were more like personal coaches or motivational speakers:
  • "You can do it!"
  • "Way to go!"
  • "You know you have what it takes!"
  • "Get off you butt and MOVE IT!"
  • "NO MORE EXCUSES!'
Or not have a scale at all.

Except that we still need ways to gauge our health.  For me, those ways are making a majority of my food choices from raw fruits and vegetables, juicing green stuff, eating lean meats and good fats, limiting my processed foods, avoiding my allergens and indulging once in a while rather than indulging all the time and having a veggie once in a while.

Anyway, the scale is broken, my kid is napping, I'm headed to the basement to hop on the treadmill, it's snowing outside, and I don't feel like going out to buy a new battery just to step on the scale to see what my weight is today.  I know I am down from last Friday, maybe a pound or so, just b/c last Saturday my scale did work and it read 137.6.  Whatever.  For my body, I know what foods to avoid in order to keep my weight around a certain number...I just have to decide to do it or not.  And this past week, I didn't make that choice...

No comments:

Post a Comment