Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Food for Thought

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life.  He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."  John 6:35

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst.  Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."  John 4:13-14

"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work."  John 4:34

As a person whose thoughts have been bombarded with food oftentimes throughout my short life (currently writing this post as a 39 year and 51 and a half week old...) initially reading the quotes above were annoying.  I mean, really, why would the God of the whole wide world have to use metaphors when speaking to us humans?  And especially about food?  Why not just say, "I'm all you'll ever need...I'm better than sex, food, money, tequila and even chocolate...just hang out with Me and trust Me?" 

He actually did say all those things in different ways, but He also knew that one day I would need to read those verses to be encouraged that true satisfaction, satiation, quenching, fulfillment, all those things, could only be filled by Him.  

He knew that I would be dissatisfied on this earth because I wasn't intended for here, trying to fill myself with things other than Him, other than His will, things that were only temporarily fulfilling. 

He knew my issues would be with food...and I wouldn't be the only one. 

So, He saw fit to write it down.  In ink.  On pieces of skin and dried leaves.  In the hearts of people who would be obedient to pass it on, who may have even struggled with the same things.

He provided for me because He's always provided for me...for all of us.

Some might think, "How did He know your issues would be with food?  Why would He let you go through something, conflict, a difficult time, addiction, loss, pride, heartache, grief, (not only talking food here, obviously, but trials of all kinds...) if He's really a loving God?"

Well, one, He made me.  And He made you...whether you believe that or not.  Two, He knew because He's super smart, I mean, you try designing a Universe...it's totally not easy.  Three, He's not Santa Claus, so don't even get me started on that one...we live on earth so crap happens and just because we ask an old guy for something because we've been good doesn't mean it'll be under our tree (that's another post!!!).  And four, but not an exhaustive list by any means, He knew Satan would tempt me on more than one occasion and that I'd hit bottom one day but finally look up to Him, my Source, to find what it was I was searching for in the first place.

So, as I've been going to Him during times of "bored eating" He has provided these scriptures, these truths, for me to feast on.  I hope they'll encourage and fill you, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment