Thursday, May 26, 2011

Testing, testing...

So, not too long ago I would have freaked out if the scale read a pound or two more than the previous day.

I'm not exaggerating
. For reals.

And by "freaked out" I mean, I would have obsessed, thought I was a failure, given up for that particular day, and thought, "Oh well, I'm destined to suck at losing weight!" And thought it was darned near the end of the world...except we all know that already came and went :)

Previously I said on here that I wouldn't recommend weighing on a scale each day. I would like to retract that statement...I said it when I was mad at the scale. I have a better relationship with it now.

It's my scientific friend.

Let me give you an idea of what the scale has shown me in the last week:
  • Monday: 148.6 (Had just come off a weekend of eating whatever the heck I wanted...I guess I'll need to define what that means at some point because my "whatever the heck I wanted" is different from the next guys...)
  • Tuesday: 147.4 (Monday I made some simple changes, got rid of the processed carbs but ate lots of veggies, some fruit, chicken and steak...)
  • Wednesday: 144.4 (On Tuesday I had lots of veggies, meat and fruit, some red wine with dinner and then a cupcake for dessert...I was at a going away party, what can I say? But, either way, I still lost a boatload of lbs. from the previous day.)
  • Thursday: 144.2 (On Wednesday I had a second gluten-free chocolate cupcake with butter cream frosting b/c if it's around, I want to eat them, and, I had paid good money for those cupcakes, so wasn't going to allow "no-carbs" to get in my way. Why lie, right?)
  • Friday: 145.2 (So, Thursday I had eaten Greek yogurt. I ate it in lieu of taking my normal daily pro-biotic supplements. I wanted to see what getting my pro-biotics through dairy would do to me because I have a dairy allergy. Well, apparently it encourages my body to retain fluids, aka toxins in my fat. I also had a yummy pina colada that my hubby made me...I'm pretty sure that was a culprit, as well, but after the week we've had, you would have had one, too!)
Now, could it have been that the 2 cupcakes caught up with me? After the first one I ate, I had lost 3 pounds from the previous day. So, I don't think it was that. Honestly, I've approached this last week as an experimental one so I could see what foods were culprits, journaling my food intake, how I've felt in the mornings...basically testing food and its effect on me.

Now, obviously, if I'm trying to cut out high-glycemic carbohydrates and sugars for a time, eating two cupcakes and having a pina colada won't help. But, they showed me that my body is sensitive to sugars, that is for sure.

Here were my constants each day, these things never changed:
  • 3 servings of lean proteins (eggs, chicken, fish, beef - I have low iron so need the beef)
  • 4-5 servings of veggies
  • 1-2 servings of fruit, ie; apples or strawberries
  • Organic lemon detox tea w/lemon each morning
  • Organic green tea
  • RAW Green powder drink each day
  • Apple Cider Vinegar and Flax Oil
  • Supplements: my multi-vitamin w/pro-biotics and omega fish oil
  • At least ten 8oz glasses of water throughout the day
So there you go. I am not freaked that I gained a pound because it's more intriguing to know what foods bother me. Today, Friday, I have eaten just like listed above, minus any sweets. I did have the remainder of the Greek yogurt with Stevia and cinnamon in it. Usually I eat coconut yogurt, but it doesn't have ANY protein in it, which is part of the point of consuming pro-biotic yogurt. My friend, however, just told me about a good trick to change that: add a scoop of protein powder (I buy "Garden of Life" RAW protein b/c it doesn't contain any of my allergens...you can buy something yummier like whey, pea, or egg protein) to the coconut yogurt and, voila, I have yogurt that contains both pro-biotics and protein! I will try that soon.

It will be interesting to see what the scale says tomorrow.

Even after the week we have had, I didn't eat emotionally, nor did I obsess about the scale or what foods I was consuming. My goal is still between 135 and 140, but I feel like I've got my head on my shoulders, presently.

And I'm on this journey, one day at a time.

2 comments:

  1. I've gotten some emails from a couple readers that are having difficulty posting comments here...

    I'm trying to figure it out. Sorry! If you have something to share, you can email me at adexoxox@gmail.com

    Thanks for your patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man oh man...i am just so right with you. never had any problem with weight/body issues until after i started having babies. but, i was still a slave to food...just didn't realize it until i couldn't eat just whatever the heck i wanted. totally on a journey in this too, so i love following this blog. i just wrote a few things about my recent journey these days on my blog actually. i'm on my way to freedom...one day at a time. oh to be totally free...forever. working on that spiritual aspect right now...i know the logistics of what's right and wrong as far as food/habits...now just to stay strong and connected to my Source of all power is the key. those stinkin' bad habits and generational curses!! ;)

    ReplyDelete