Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Research Geek in me

I'm a research geek.

Ironically I wasn't when it was assigned in school, but in real life, I enjoy it thoroughly and am fascinated by what I find.

I'm mostly talking about the human body: disease, health, nutrition, exercise, natural/organic solutions. You won't find me researching the NASA website, though it's amazing, but on a whim, I ran over there as I was typing that, looked at the pretty pictures of the vast Universe, then got an email from a friend, remembered I need to order some cupcakes for a party next week, headed to their website and just stared for 17 minutes at the delicious menu and pictures...

BUT, I'm back to whatever my train of thought was here...what was it? Oh yeah. Research.

I am not a doctor.

I actually failed chemistry, so that would be why. Anyway, the reason I am telling you this is because *this in no way is an endorsement or prescription for medical help or advice of any kind. I am a wife and mom and researcher for self-help...my self. I am a seeker of pure health and I am not giving you unsolicited advice. I am just sharing my journey and the things I have researched over the last 12 to 15 years in the area of those things I mentioned above.

Pain, lack of sleep/energy, bloating and gut pain, puffy fingers and dark circles under my eyes each morning, short-term memory loss, irritability/crankiness, desired weight loss, among other things are some of the reasons I have sought out the following books/authors/doctors/websites/recipes/programs. Here is just a random sampling in no particular order:

  • The Fat Flush Plan (and her cookbook) by Ann Louise Gittleman
  • Eat Right for Your Blood Type (and his one for pregnancy/baby) by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo
  • 40-30-30 concept, mid-90's
  • The G-Free Diet by Elisabeth Hasselbeck
  • Power90 and P90X with Tony Horton
  • Walking/Swimming/Biking/Lifting/Gym membership
  • The Weight Loss Cure by Kevin Trudeau
  • Change Your Brain, Change Your Body by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.
  • Cooking Light magazine
  • Nutrition Almanac by Kirschmann and Kirschmann
  • Feeding the Whole Family and Feeding the Young Athlete by Cynthia Lair
  • The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss
  • Lyme's Disease sites and all related diseases/ailments
  • The Mayo Clinic website
  • The CDC website
  • Food allergy testing
  • Fasting/Cleansing/hCG
  • My brother-in-law, ND, LAc
  • My good friend, DC, FIAMA
  • And more I am forgetting...
The 4-Hour Body is my most recent find. The guy is so random that I can easily track with him. Here's a quote I personally love from his book, "Fortunately you don't have to be a human guinea pig to benefit from one." He was referring to himself since he's allowed himself to be the subject of many a science experiment to defy theories and long-believed trains of thought, faulty ones, at that.

Anyway, the reason I am sharing all this is because these, among other things, have encouraged me on my journey toward health. I don't believe every single word in every single book. I do not follow one book as if it were the formula to the fountain of youth. That is not my pursuit. Over the years my journey towards being skinny has changed into one of being a healthy person. I now know that entails body, mind and spirit. Sounds cheesy, but it's true.

Part of the problem with me lies with the reality that I think I know too much and I am an idealist.

As my friend says, I need balance. Moderation. 'Tis true. A bit of moderation is good. But, from my idealistic side, a moderate portion of toxic waste isn't something I want to whip up for dinner one night or swing through the drive-thru to consume. I know one margarita is good, 3 might be over the top. I know that a dozen tortilla chips is a fine serving, but 2 baskets before dinner comes is out of control unnecessary. I don't judge you if you think eating monkey brains, red dye #40, artificial/chemical sweeteners or waxy cheap chocolate is okay. We all have our vices. But I'm just trying to figure out when it comes to food, healthy choices, and treats once in a while, what does "moderation" look like for me?

The idealistic side of me then goes, "I can't have any chips...they are the devil...I won't have any: blah, blah, blah, because it's bad for me."

The researcher in me, however, has found that I am unable to breakdown and process or utilize gluten...and, as I've eliminated it, I realize I am not missing anything, really. And I feel better. I also have a heck of a time with dairy. It's okay. I'd rather eat a hunk of goat cheese anyway and I haven't chugged milk since high school. Kinda gross to think about...And, knowing what I do about fake foods that are uber-processed, I just can't get myself to munch on them, even if it is in "moderation."

Where am I going with this? Not really sure, but even if you are walking this journey because I've decided to walk it plainly, publicly, doesn't mean that all the right answers for me will be all the right answers for you.

You have an addiction to food for different reasons than I do.

You look in the mirror and see a different person than I do.

We are different on this journey, but doing it together can bring encouragement along the way, to both of us.

Meanwhile, I'll keep writing. Tomorrow, it's about forgiveness. Yuck!

1 comment:

  1. Your honesty and writing are such a blessing thank you, God Bless!

    ReplyDelete