Monday, May 2, 2011

New Beginning, take 2, or 3, maybe 4...

Has that ever been the case with you?

Okay, today is a new day. I'm going to start TODAY. Today is THE day, the beginning of all my carefree tomorrows...

And then, by 10 am you've browsed the fridge 12 times and the empty carbs in the pantry have wooed their way into mind, heart, and watering mouth...and then the day is shot and it's a crap shoot and, "Oh well...I messed up...too late for today, maybe I'll try again tomorrow..."

Yeah. You aren't alone. I've been there. I've done that. I'll probably do it again at some point. The reality is, upon discovering or realizing that we've fallen off the wagon, that moment is when we can say, "Okay, NOW I am starting again...it doesn't have to be tomorrow...there's still time in TODAY!"

But, today was a new day. For reals.

As far as eating goes, I know what makes me fat. I know what foods cause me to retain fluids, get puckery, grow bat wings, dimply thighs and a nice thick ring around my waist. I know that sugars and carbs make me puffy, cranky, wrinkly and groggy, and that eating them just makes me want them more.

So, today I boycotted them.

Carbs, YOU SUCK!

No, I'm not going all Atkins or something. But what I am doing is eating 2-3 lean proteins, 3-5 veggies, a little quinoa or brown rice here and there and 2 low glycemic index fruits each day for the next month. I'm also doing a combo of P90X and INSANITY and walking. If I can't lose my excess weight by eating healthy like that and exercising, then I guess I'm just meant to be coated in this extra layer of fat that I hate. No, but really, if for some reason I can't get on top of this by June 1st then I'm going back to something I know works, and I'll share that part of the journey soon, but this isn't a place where I'm promo-ing diets...so, just fyi. Just sharing the journey.


So, yeah. I gained 6.5 lbs last week. Yep. I ate a crap load of Easter candy. Candy has nothing to do with Jesus. Just sayin'.

So, if I'm gonna be totally straight up and honest on this blog that I hate, then I guess I have to reveal all my guts and start sharing the raw stuff. Believe me, I've got some. Like how I went from 144 to 151 in a week because I wanted sugar and I didn't care. Speaking of not caring, I totally blew off my food journal when I was doing this because writing:
  • Emily's Easter candy
in your food journal just isn't cool at all. I also had blown off weighing in every day. Probably should not have done that since the scale didn't just creep, it leaped!

So, like a good/bad mommy, today I made Emily choose 10 of her favorite candy treats from her left over Easter basket and throw the rest away. She had already eaten plenty and doesn't need more, so really, I didn't feel badly and she really didn't seem to care.

And, for some reason, her candy didn't tempt me today. Maybe it was because I had already decided last night that May is a new month and that my body is my temple and I have to stop abusing it by letting it consume crap that doesn't give it life...

...or maybe the reality that the pool is opening in a month and I don't want to keep giving Emily excuses as to why her daddy is taking her to the pool and why I don't want to go...I want to sit at the pool this summer and laugh and play with my kids...and not care!!!!

1 comment:

  1. ad--

    i've done lots of things to lose baby weight that stayed around b/c of back to back to back pregnancies. i wanted to get a handle on it at one point and finally quit 'pretending' to be sick of it and actually WAS sick of it. one thing i learned is that cutting out ANYTHING in totality is not a good idea. like w/ the sugars. small amounts of it and your body can learn to use it, digest it, cope w/ it. but total denial of it and the smallest consumption of it goes straight to fat storage. kind of like your body goes into hoarding mode.

    have you ever heard that before, or seen it to be true? i'm just spit-balling, ya know. the only 'expert' hat i wear is in "i don't know crap" :o)

    but i do know what i've seen in my own journey. i eat what i like----in small quantites and paired w/ much more of the good stuff.

    XXOO!

    ReplyDelete