Monday, June 6, 2011

Triple C's

Last week was a roller coaster. I was doing splendidly, eating all the right foods (lots of green stuff and colored veggies, good proteins), felt fantastic, physically and mentally, and then WHAM-O! I was hit like a ton of bricks with strep throat. At first I thought it was just sinus stuff because that can affect your throat, but then I got a text from my friend whose little girl had spent the night over the weekend reporting that she had it.

After two days of tolerating the pain, I woke up as the main act in the sword swallowing act at the circus. I will be on antibiotics for two weeks! Arghhhhhh!

The crazy thing, which isn't crazy b/c I know what drugs can do, but I had lost 4.5 lbs in 3 days last week by eating so healthily and taking out all my allergens. And then WHAM-O! As soon as I started taking the antibiotics and sucking on sugary throat drops, the scale said I had gained 5 lbs. Seriously?! But yeah, even though antibiotics kill bad bugs, they also kill the good ones that we need in our bodies, so, it's obvious that I'd retain lots of excess fluids in my cells while I'm on the drugs.

Anyway, yesterday I needed chocolate chip cookies. I was even so desperate that I entertained the thought of making them with gluten-y wheat flour, knowing I'd stink for a few days. Actually, I wanted them so badly that I even thought of asking Jason to bring one home from the grocery store bakery...and let me tell ya, that's gotta be desperate because, really, how good can those waxy things actually be?!

Yeah, I thought about them.

I tried to ward off the evil thoughts.

I thought about them again and again and assured myself just a few chocolate chips would suffice...they didn't...not even a couple dozen chocolate chips sufficed...

I finally decided I just needed to go ahead and whip up a batch, eat some, and be done with the pestering thoughts, already.

So, that's what I did.

And I made them super big. They were so stinking delicious! I ate 5, as well as dough while I scooped them up. I'd show you pictures, you know, all fancy blog style, like, "Here's me cracking an egg if you've never cracked a stinking egg ever in your life", "This is my batter in my fancy mixer" and "This is me scooping dough onto parchment paper like a real chef." But, I ate them up too fast, then gave them to Em and Jason, then bagged them and shipped them off to work with Jason so I didn't have to look at them again...so that's why I don't have visual aids.

And guess what?! It worked.

Making the cookies, eating some up, enjoying them, but not wanting to eat another and then getting them out of my house totally worked.

I don't need cookies anymore. Today I enjoyed my eggs and spinach and didn't want cookies. I'll eat them again one day, but now I know how I need to do it.

I need to make them as a batch for other people or events where many people are involved, not only the people who live in my house, then give some to Jason and Em, you know, the hot fresh ones, then ship the rest off for the enjoyment of others, as well.

How do you get the cravings out of your house?

4 comments:

  1. i have discovered that not so much what i eat, as the enviroments i'm in, mess w/ the scale for me. (obviously it's the food i eat that does it....but i eat that way when i'm out of my safe boundaries more)---ie. camping throws my eating all out of wack! the scale screamed at me when i got on it sunday night. well, maybe that was me screaming....either way neither of us liked what we saw! but w/ lots of water, my regular exercise and food----five pounds gone just like that. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I need, need, need a piece of something sweet I turn to a little corner in my pantry where I keep a bar of dark chocolate. I pretty much always have one on hand. I usually have a piece a day - in the afternoon or evening - whenever the craving arises. I find it really does the trick. I feel satisfied and I justify it because it's dark chocolate - that's healthy after all right?
    I think you make a great point - sometimes we just need to face things head on (aka eat a cookie) and then be done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um...ahem...I eat the cravings to get them out of my house...ahem. Lately I've just been refusing to buy the things that I know I will crave. I'm an all or nothing girl, so I will eat the whole darn package or batch of whatever it is. Although, I have a package of cookies sitting in my locked drawer and I seriously have not had a craving for it since I put it in there, and have not gone in to have any because we have plenty of healthy food to eat and I've been keeping busy (And by keeping busy I mean I've had an intensive ear infection since last week that I had to go to the hospital twice over the weekend for) So I think that might have something to do with it. But...I like you're way of dealing with cravings MUCH better than mine!

    -Elizabeth @aidenclaire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you read "made to crave"? as someone who has struggled with food issues my whole life, i find your blog a little obsessive & disturbing, if i'm being honest. I think your focus needs to come off food/weight in order to deal with the real issues in your life. trust me, i've been where you are and understand that you're just trying to "keep it real" through your blog. but just hear me out and read that book. praying for your journey.

    ReplyDelete