Monday, April 23, 2012

Whatever You Want to Tell Yourself...

"I'm good enough...


I'm smart enough...


And by golly, people like me.



I'm good enough...


I'm smart enough...


And by golly, people like me.



I'm good enough...


I'm smart enough...


And by golly, people like me.



I'm good enough...


I'm smart enough...


And by golly, people like me."


But no matter what, God's totally in love with me.  He always has been and always will be.  He made me, on purpose, for His purpose.  And when He looks at me, and sees me looking at myself in a mirror, despising my own reflection, He sees something I am unable to see.


He sees beauty.  He sees His workmanship.  He does not see perfection, yet He sees a reflection of Himself.


I want to see that, too.


Not a reflection of beauty the way the world defines it, but beautiful the way a 60 year old American Red Maple tree is still breathtaking even after its leaves have fallen before the winter.  A tree is beautiful, in different ways, in every season...


Sometimes, whether we believe it or not, we just have to tell ourselves we are beautiful, lovely, worth the effort.  I know that if I look in the mirror every morning and silently throw daggers at my own reflection, I'll start believing what I see is unlovely.  I'll start believing lies...


However, if the affirmations of Stewart Smalley at least cause my lips to curl up into a smile and laugh at myself, well, whatever I need to tell myself to lift my heart out of a slump, I'll do it.


What I see in the mirror isn't faith.  It's a reality with which I am struggling to reconcile.  Why can't I love me for just being me?  Why do I have unconditional love for others but not extend it to myself?


What I hope for, and in Whom I place my trust...that is faith.


And to stand in front of the mirror, or before I even place my feet on the floor in the morning, if I say, "Good morning, Lord!  I love You!  I trust You!  Thank You for making me!  I am beautiful and I love myself!" well, I'd say, that's a step in the right direction!


You see, God's Truth NEVER changes.  It's my heart that needs to line up with His reality.  And His reality is:  when He made me, He said it was good...


*What TRUTH do you need to tell yourself in order to break through the wall or barrier that is holding you back from being all you were designed to be?


No comments:

Post a Comment