Monday, May 21, 2012

Week Two, Baby!

I'm on week two of my cleanse and workout schedule.

I feel UH-MAZE-ing!  For reals, I have not had any cravings.  Last week I was a little tired, but I'm guessing that comes from my early morning hours reading and doing my workouts.

I've had tons of energy and a lot of my feelings/symptoms/bodily aches and pains are subsiding.  My hands were achy.  And my knees.  And I was irritable.  And moody.  Did I mention bloated, gassy, and the fact that none of my jeans were fitting...not even the pair I bought a month ago as my "10 lbs, give or a take a few, jeans..."

Here is the run down:  Each morning I have hot lemon water with a little Stevia.  This gets the liver going.  I read my Bible and pray.  I usually have a bit of lean protein in meat form at this time, too.  Then I go to the basement and do my workout of the day.  Head up to shower, get ready and get kiddos and hubster up and going and out the door.  He's helpful with this, so I won't pretend I do it all on my own.  He's stellar!  Then each morning I am drinking my green drink.  I also have hot tea throughout the day because I'm wimpy and am always cold.  This is usually a green tea or herbal tea from Yogi or Medicinals.  I eat fruit, green veggies, and a lean protein for lunch.  I also eat this for dinner.  Sometimes I'll have a piece of fruit or more veggies as a snack, but I haven't been that hungry.

Keep in mind, for the next 2ish months, I am not eating ANY of my allergens, sensitivities, or sugars, so, for me that means NO:


  • gluten
  • dairy
  • eggs
  • corn
  • potatoes
  • grains
  • sugary fruits (ie, bananas, pineapple, grapes...)
  • nuts or seeds
  • fats other than fish oils
That leaves a lot, people.  This is a first world problem to be able to even say, "Oh, I'm eliminating certain foods from my diet..."  People in the third world do not have this luxury, so I would challenge you to challenge your own perspective.

I finally had to give myself a "Snap out of it!" talk and it worked...

In September when I do start introducing foods like grains or sugars once in a while, I'm approaching it more like Laura Ingalls Wilder and the days of old.  They did not go to the store every day or even every week and buy a package of crap filled cookies with ingredients that included numbers and chemical compounds.  Instead, they went to the bakery once in a while and got ONE special treat.  

  • One cookie.
  • One cupcake.
  • One pie to share with their whole family for a special occasion.
  • One piece of candy on their trip into town with Pa.

We all boast about how our great-grandparents lived long lives eating beef and potatoes, real cream and eggs every day.  We forget they didn't have boxes and bags of chemically formulated foods laden with sugar and maxi-carbs pouring down their throats.  

They worked their arses off, got a heckofalot more exercise than the average person these days, and they ate whole foods.  Not at Whole Foods, this doesn't have to be expensive, but actual food...like as close to the way God created it in the first place.


*How far away from it's original design is the food you are feeding your body and giving to your children?  What small changes can you make to start incorporating healthier choices into your routine every day?



7 comments:

  1. James and I were just discussing this last night!! Eating pure is not anymore expensive- the produce last longer and we feel better! Our grocery bill is only more because of the supplements like green vibrance, fish oils, probiotics, etc!!! All natural is the way to go!!! I would put my grocery bill up against anyone who buys processed foods...that and my medical bills (excluding James, but this stuff has cancer fighting elements too!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister! So good to hear you guys are eating this way, too...it can inspire those around you, too, especially when you have to take a dish to a potluck and people love the recipe and want it!

      Delete
  2. Ade, what types of things do your kiddos eat for meals and for snacks? I know this is a blog about you but I am curious what your kids eat, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffany! For snack today Ryan had raisins, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and some peanuts. I buy rice crackers for the kids. As far as fruits/veggies, I buy lots of fresh and will cut up an apple at least once a day. I try to rotate fruits like strawberries/grapes/bananas/mango/banana/grapefruit for the kiddos. Em will eat a grapefruit like an orange. Em loves popcorn, so I will pop some homemade once in a while (maybe once a week) but I just have fruit/nuts/seeds/veggies/hummus/applesauce around for quick snacks. As far as meals, they eat whatever we are eating, unless Ryan can't wait, which is usually the case. I made Lebanese Kafta for dinner last night with a romaine salad, hummus, and mango salsa. Ryan ate it up, as did his big sis. For breakfast I make a lot of smoothies or do nut butter/honey on gluten free/egg free bread. (Ryan is allergic to eggs/gluten) I do give the rest of the fam some grains, but mostly just rice and quinoa, no gluten grains. Today Ryan wanted juice so I put a little scoop of my green juice in his sippy cup and he sucked that down. Basically, I try to give them a variety. We do nut and coconut milk, but no one in our house drinks it just plain...it's always in a smoothie of some sort or over a whole grain cereal. Like Tara's kids, below, my kids devour kale chips, too:) I'm still trying to wean Em off dairy (quesadillas) b/c she can feel the difference when she cuts it out, but it's taking a while. They eat avocados out of the shell with a little garlic powder and sea salt. They pretty much eat whatever I make for the whole family...and if they aren't fans, I tweak the recipe for the next time :)

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, instead of bacon, we buy nitrate free thinly sliced ham and I cook that at least once a week for breakfast. It's Em's favorite thing.

      Delete
  3. I know you asked Adrienne...but I have a 9 and 5 year old. they eat every type of fruit and vegetable around... from apricots to kale chips. They also drink smoothies and tons of water and some coconut milk. I find since we started this, my 9 year old will just go peel a carrot and eat it like a rabbit! :) They also snack on yogurt and gluten fee granola. We also buy tons of dried fruits for them to munch on. For meals, they eat what we eat, salads and whatever protein we are having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously need to follow exactly what you are doing...not eating any allergens, sensitivities, or sugars.
    The other day I must've ate some things that didn't agree with me at all..because I felt very ill with many of the same symptoms you have mentioned before.
    I am trying to eat much better and snack on fruits and vegetables...while trying to loose some weight too.
    Thanks for the inspiration and tips on what to eat/not eat and snack ideas. Keep on keeping on...You are doing great!!!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete